Human Resources Associate
As Human Resources (HR) Associate, you’ll handle the daily administrative and HR duties of the organization. This part-time role (2-3 days a week) supports recruitment, human resources record maintenance, providing data for payroll processing and providing clerical support to certain employees.
The Joan Mitchell Foundation, established in 1993, is an artist-endowed foundation that was established by an artist for artists. The Foundation has a dual mission to expand awareness of the abstract artist Joan Mitchell’s life and pioneering work and to fulfill her wish to support and provide opportunities for visual artists. The Foundation's Legacy team stewards an archive and collection of artwork to support research, scholarship, and exhibitions to ensure Joan Mitchell is widely recognized as a significant artist; and the Foundation’s Artist Support team offers grants, New Orleans-based artist residencies, and related initiatives to recognize artistic excellence and elevate a wide range of visual artists and practices. Through this work we hope to affirm and amplify artists’ essential contributions to society and to actively expand the visual arts to better reflect the diverse world in which we live. Foundation staff are primarily based in NYC, with a New Orleans-based campus for the artist residencies.
Joan Mitchell Foundation
New York, NY
Deputy Director, Finance and Administration; HR Consultant
Key Responsibilities Will Include
- Assist with day to day administrative HR duties inclusive of, but not limited to, PEO data entry (accrued leave, titles, pay, medial leaves, etc.), administrative support of new hires and terminations, part-time payroll documentation administration and administer updates of the time and attendance system;
- Provide clerical and administrative support to DD, F&A and Nonprofit HR Consultant;
- Compile and update employee records (hard and soft copies);
- Process timesheets and enter hours for part-time staff into 3rd part payroll processing software;
- Review timesheets in time & attendance system for completion and timeliness, and enter payroll hours into PEO for non-exempt full-time staff;
- Process documentation and required reports relating to staff activities (staffing, recruitment, training, grievances, performance evaluations, etc.)
- Assist in planning of all staff learning experiences inclusive of trainings related to the organization’s diversity, equity and inclusion commitment as well as organization goal related professional development;
- Help manage time and attendance entries, checking for timely input by staff and accuracy of entries;
- Assist with coordinating HR projects/events (meetings, surveys, etc.) and take minutes;
- Maintain records of employee relations matters;
- Assist with recruiting efforts, to include coordinating communication with candidates and schedule interviews;
- Assist in coordinating on site onboarding & orientation for newly hired employees
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skill Required
- Human Resources certification preferred, though not required;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a related field;
- Minimum 2 – 3 years of proven experience as an HR assistant or relevant human resources/administrative position in an office setting. Must demonstrate applied experience in one or more roles that required maintaining a high level of confidentiality;
- Because our staff and artists come from a wide range of backgrounds, candidates also need to be able to navigate issues related to race, identity, and bring a deep commitment to advancing the values of equity and inclusion;
- Fast computer typing skills (MS Office, in particular) & intermediate skill with Microsoft Office Suite applications;
- Hands-on experience with a Human Resources Information System (HRIS);
- Basic knowledge of labor laws;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Strong communication skills;
- Experience navigating between office and virtual settings
To be qualified, an individual must have the requisite skills, experience and education for the job and must also be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation. The Joan Mitchell Foundation provides reasonable accommodations to applicants upon request.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to [email protected] with the Subject Line: JMF - [Position Title].
About Joan Mitchell Foundation
The Joan Mitchell Foundation celebrates the life of abstract artist Joan Mitchell by expanding awareness of her pioneering work and fulfilling her wish to support and provide opportunities for visual artists. Through grants, residencies, and related initiatives, the Foundation advances the work of today’s artists and amplifies their essential contributions to communities around the world.