The Bookkeeper handles the daily administrative accounting duties of the organization. This part-time role (2-3 days a week) supports accounts payable, administration and processing, cash receipts and deposits, general ledger maintenance, record keeping, and clerical support to certain employees.
Joan Mitchell Foundation
New York, NY
Key Responsibilities Will Include
- Maintain the general ledger by verifying, allocating and posting transactions
- Process accounts payable and employee expense reports ensuring all required documentation has been collected with appropriate management approvals.
- Process and record accounts payable transactions; ensure invoices, expenses, and staff reimbursements are coded and allocated accurately.
- Accurately record receivables and prepare bank deposits
- Maintain records of financial transactions by ensuring compliance and legal requirements are met.
- Oversee bank accounts maintaining balances necessary for operating expenses and requesting funding as needed.
- Reconciles bank accounts monthly.
- Records bank transactions as needed.
- Ensures general ledger cash balance is up to date.
- Maintain vendor files in subsystem and ensures all legal documentation has been received.
- Maintain insurance policy schedule
- Reconcile petty cash quarterly
- Balances intercompany accounts by reconciling journal entries.
- Prepares financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying requirements; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing reports; advising management on needed actions.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing ad hoc assignments as needed.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skill Required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent working experience.
- Minimum 2 – 3 years of proven experience as a bookkeeper, AP clerk or relevant accounting position in an office setting.
- Experience in working with multiple legal entities under different legal umbrellas.
- Fast computer typing skills (MS Office, in particular) & intermediate skill with Microsoft Office Suite applications
- Hands-on experience with an ERP
- Basic knowledge of GAAP
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong communication skills
- Experience navigating between office and virtual settings
To be qualified, an individual must have the requisite skills, experience and education for the job and must also be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation. The Joan Mitchell Foundation provides reasonable accommodations to applicants upon request.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to [email protected] with the Subject Line: JMF - [Position Title].
About Joan Mitchell Foundation
The Joan Mitchell Foundation expands awareness of the abstract artist Joan Mitchell’s life and pioneering work and fulfills her wish to support and provide opportunities for visual artists. Through its work, the Foundation affirms and amplifies artists’ essential contributions to society.